Issues and Concerns Surrounding Dietary Supplements
Many individuals choose to use dietary supplements for promoting health, improving performance, bodybuilding, losing weight, and more. Unfortunately, some supplements have resulted in adverse events that compromise rather than improve performance. During this panel discussion, presenters will review regulatory aspects of dietary supplements; identify issues, concerns, and risks associated with dietary supplements and their ingredients; and discuss resources available to make informed decisions about dietary supplement use, including the Consortium for Health and Military Performance’s Operation Supplement Safety.
- Describe how dietary supplements are regulated.
- Identify issues, concerns, and risks related to dietary supplements.
- Utilize Operation Supplement Safety and other government resources to provide sound supplement guidance to patients and clients.
- 10.4.5 Adheres to legislation, regulations, standards and organization policies related to recommending, prescribing and dispensing vitamins and minerals, dietary supplements, functional foods and medical nutrition foods/products.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
- 9.3.1 Critiques and selects appropriate, current, evidence-based, practice-based reference materials to support the development of nutrition education resources.
Uniformed Services University
Professor and Executive Director of CHAMP
Consortium for Health and Military Performance, Uniformed Services University
Director, Operation Supplement Safety and Senior Nutrition Scientist
Henry M. Jackson Foundation in support of Consortium for Health and Military Performance, Uniformed Services University