From Awareness to Action: Leveraging Critical Thinking for Cultural Humility Development
Framed by the recently revised 2022 ACEND Knowledge and Competency Statements, Future Education Model performance indicators, and CDR Practice Competencies on self-reflection and learning for equity and inclusion, the presenters will take participants through an interactive session focusing on practical skill development. Participants will learn to leverage anti-bias dietetic practice in their teaching, practice, and broader professional development. Speakers will share illustrate pedagogical strategies to use with students and interns. The development of a Reflection Plan will give professionals an opportunity to reflect upon, evaluate, and address the challenges of growing these practices fully into their careers.
Planned with Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors (NDEP)
- Critically analyze a scenario presented from dietetics practice.
- Adapt an example of a pedagogical or precepting strategy so that it is relevant to their own teaching or precepting practice.
- Construct a three-point plan for continued cultural humility skill development through critical self-reflection.
- 4.2.2 Reflects on own values, beliefs and biases.
- 8.3.7 Integrates new knowledge and skills into practice.
- 9.4.2 Selects and uses appropriate content and teaching methods to meet individual and group needs.
Assistant Professor, Dietetics, Foods & Nutrition Program
Lehman College, City University of New York
Balance: Food and Nutrition
Cornell Dietetic Internship Community Nutrition Coordinator and Lecturer
Assoc. Professor of Practice & Co-Director, [EX]L Center for Experiential Learning
University of Akron