NOLA Spotlight: Culinary Innovations in Restaurants, Markets & Therapeutic Food Pantries
In a city celebrated for decadence and indulgence, New Orleans dietitians are making a difference. They’re behind the work of Eat Fit-approved dishes on hundreds of restaurant menus, along with collaborations with festivals, markets and schools. NOLA RDNs have pioneered a therapeutic food pantry that provides innovative yet nourishing food choices to cancer patients and their families who are experiencing food insecurity.
In this session, New Orleans registered dietitians share their experiences and strategies in developing innovative culinary nutrition approaches to create relevant, successful and sustainable community programs.
Planned by the Committee for Lifelong Learning
- Discuss methods of relationship building with businesses and/or within the community to improve access to healthy food options
- Identify and design culinary nutrition strategies to effectively improve the nutrition environment and healthy food access
- Demonstrate impact and efficacy of nonprofit work using trackable and reproducible metrics for accurate outcome measurements.
- 12.1.1 Promotes nutrition programs and resources to address issues of food security, nutritional health and overall health and wellness.
- 12.2.8 Synthesizes assessment data to determine and prioritize program goals and objectives.
- 2.2.3 Identifies opportunities for shared benefit and/or vision.
Eat Fit NOLA Dietitian and Ochsner Eat Fit Social Strategy Manager